(no subject)
Sep. 22nd, 2026 07:47 pmYesterday was another trip to town to see the new Shaun The Sheep and April X
Beforehand I had a lil wander around town. I heard a store had the mandalorian Robinsons (which was so nice) but alas this one didn’t. Instead I got a Sherlock book from a charity shop and a Stranger Things Tales of 85 figure from Smyths (of the gourd horde, which is the pumpkin creatures).
I also saw in there Hyrule Warriors for £10 off so I am considering getting it when I go back. I only hestu Tate cause I’d not checked prices. (The Nintendo store has the a notebook if you get the game and amiibo bundles so I was gonna get it from there but kept hesitating and things kept coming up.)
Between films I got the nice burger from Burger King and saw they had churros which of course I got to try and they were nice so I might get them again.
The cinema was much quieter yesterday, with only two others for Shaun and a smattering of people for April X. (And I got a little Shaun Headband) But, well, let’s just say I’ve not had a contrast of quality in the film watches since May.
But before then, trailers.
Shaun The Sheep had Ice Age, Cat In The Hat and Tad And The Magic Lamp ones which I’d seen. Plus there was a new one for Forgotten Island (I didn’t realise right away so didn’t pay attention😭) and a teamster for the Bluey movie which I didn’t know was a thing.
April X had Sunrise On The Reaping and Hope which was new, plus one for Endgame Encore (I dunno if I have it in me to watch it just for whatever short newness there apparently is). Then there as a new Street Fighter one (looks like it might be good but what do I know) and Bad Day At The Office which might be good or terrible (Especailly due to the pov cams)
But onto the films
First was Shaun The Sheep, The Beast Of Mossy Bottom.
It’s almost Halloween and Shaun and the flock have been growing pumpkins for it. But when an accident damages them Shaun turns to science to restore them which ends up unleashing a beast.
Shaun The Sheep is one of those things that’s always a fun time. It’s just so funny, with all the sight gags, the hijinx and general silliness. (Plus unexpected wlw rep!) But it really is a fun time. There’s a mad scientist lab in a windmill, a boat chase, giant pumpkins, mayhem in the village.
If I had one issue with it is to do with the timing. This is very much a Halloween film and yet it’s released in late September. Why not wait a few weeks and release it mid October so it’ll be showing around the holiday it’s based on? It’s an odd decision.
Though I do find it funny its release is the same day as Resident Evil. Since it’s also about an scientist messing with something he doesn’t understand, resulting in a monster being unleashed and causing havoc in the local community. (And damn it would’ve been a nice double bill oddly!)
So I’d say if you like Shaun The Sheep or want a good fun time, go see it. It’s a real fun time and the Aardman animators did an amazing job like always. Plus it has Monster by The Automatic! Which is always a good thing.
After the aforementioned food break I went back in for April X, which was funnily in the same screen. In fact I was only 5 seats from where I was seated for Shaun.
April X is follows Baxter (Connor Storrie) a man who is involved in shady dealings. When his sister goes missing he tries to find her to no avail until he spots her again 5 years later. Or at least someone that looks like her.
I went into April X blind, not even watching a trailer, deciding to see it for Connor alone (though the cinema description sounded interesting). But it was very much… not great.
Like there is the bones of an interesting world here. It’s set in an unnamed city somewhere in Europe, sometime in the future. There’s drones flying around, cars with light up wheels, clones, people can record dreams. There is some interesting stuff but it’s all kinda… eh.
Like one plot point (early on) is that Baxter’s sister can record and control her dreams. Now one description I read made out like she sold those dreams or traded them, but instead she just… records them for seemingly no real reason. (She also doesn’t go missing until about a third of the way in, maybe longer and then there’s like… three or four scenes of Baxter trying to find her before a 5 year time jump)
There’s also these weird monologues from Baxter talking about things that are relevant or what’s happening. Which would be fine if it was like once or twice, but it was like one every ten or fifteen minutes which felt really excessive.
Connor tries his best but it’s just not great (and it’s a shame cause I know he’s a talented actor). No one is likeable, the writing feels eh and while there is some nice visuals (like overhead shots of the city) it all feels done badly. Even the final confrontation is utterly anticlimactic.
So it was eh, which was a shame. I kinda wish I’d switched to seeing Transformers instead but how was I supposed to know it would be… like that.
Next cinema trip will be to see Hope or Howl’s Moving Castle (in theory I could do both Saturday but I’m not sure yet)
Last night I managed to finish fic, then got a bit unfocussed and also annoyed at both Dead By Daylight and Dreamlight. Both seem to have decided to make bad decisions. DBD has an event with quests that you can only do as a killer, but killer queue times for it are up to (and over) 40 minutes so it’s hard. With Dreamlight the last Star Path (cause it finished today) had quests associated with the new character Wreck It Ralph, but he’s locked behind a late game character and they didn’t make any indication about that. (Usually characters for paths are easy to get, just needing to do a quest in their realm)
As I mentioned with Hyrule Warriors I was indecisive, but I’m also still indecisive about seeing Natewantstobattle (and the Paranormal Activity theatre show). Today at the library mum seemed to be pushing me to make a choice, but I’d not wanted to until after the hospital.
Library was quiet whcih was good cause I was a lil unfocussed and have been all day. At least I managed to finally read a Fantastic Four comic, and one of the Poirot Investigates short stories. (Hopefully this week I can start the second Clown In A Cornfield 2.
Audible had a 2 for 1 using credits so I got two Doctor Who ones, an Alien one and a random one that sounded interesting.
A question for Christmas film people (so I suspect this is
turps’ area but maybe someone else knows. We watch Great Mystery cause of their meet the detectives thing (which is pretty good usually) and there’s ads for the Christmas channel. One has a jungle that’s like ‘city gets dumped before Christmas, has a disaster, meets a flannel clad man, falls in love’ and I just wondered if there were anything like that only with it being guys.
Now though gonna watch the new Bake Off then see if my focus is ok to do other things.
Beforehand I had a lil wander around town. I heard a store had the mandalorian Robinsons (which was so nice) but alas this one didn’t. Instead I got a Sherlock book from a charity shop and a Stranger Things Tales of 85 figure from Smyths (of the gourd horde, which is the pumpkin creatures).
I also saw in there Hyrule Warriors for £10 off so I am considering getting it when I go back. I only hestu Tate cause I’d not checked prices. (The Nintendo store has the a notebook if you get the game and amiibo bundles so I was gonna get it from there but kept hesitating and things kept coming up.)
Between films I got the nice burger from Burger King and saw they had churros which of course I got to try and they were nice so I might get them again.
The cinema was much quieter yesterday, with only two others for Shaun and a smattering of people for April X. (And I got a little Shaun Headband) But, well, let’s just say I’ve not had a contrast of quality in the film watches since May.
But before then, trailers.
Shaun The Sheep had Ice Age, Cat In The Hat and Tad And The Magic Lamp ones which I’d seen. Plus there was a new one for Forgotten Island (I didn’t realise right away so didn’t pay attention😭) and a teamster for the Bluey movie which I didn’t know was a thing.
April X had Sunrise On The Reaping and Hope which was new, plus one for Endgame Encore (I dunno if I have it in me to watch it just for whatever short newness there apparently is). Then there as a new Street Fighter one (looks like it might be good but what do I know) and Bad Day At The Office which might be good or terrible (Especailly due to the pov cams)
But onto the films
First was Shaun The Sheep, The Beast Of Mossy Bottom.
It’s almost Halloween and Shaun and the flock have been growing pumpkins for it. But when an accident damages them Shaun turns to science to restore them which ends up unleashing a beast.
Shaun The Sheep is one of those things that’s always a fun time. It’s just so funny, with all the sight gags, the hijinx and general silliness. (Plus unexpected wlw rep!) But it really is a fun time. There’s a mad scientist lab in a windmill, a boat chase, giant pumpkins, mayhem in the village.
If I had one issue with it is to do with the timing. This is very much a Halloween film and yet it’s released in late September. Why not wait a few weeks and release it mid October so it’ll be showing around the holiday it’s based on? It’s an odd decision.
Though I do find it funny its release is the same day as Resident Evil. Since it’s also about an scientist messing with something he doesn’t understand, resulting in a monster being unleashed and causing havoc in the local community. (And damn it would’ve been a nice double bill oddly!)
So I’d say if you like Shaun The Sheep or want a good fun time, go see it. It’s a real fun time and the Aardman animators did an amazing job like always. Plus it has Monster by The Automatic! Which is always a good thing.
After the aforementioned food break I went back in for April X, which was funnily in the same screen. In fact I was only 5 seats from where I was seated for Shaun.
April X is follows Baxter (Connor Storrie) a man who is involved in shady dealings. When his sister goes missing he tries to find her to no avail until he spots her again 5 years later. Or at least someone that looks like her.
I went into April X blind, not even watching a trailer, deciding to see it for Connor alone (though the cinema description sounded interesting). But it was very much… not great.
Like there is the bones of an interesting world here. It’s set in an unnamed city somewhere in Europe, sometime in the future. There’s drones flying around, cars with light up wheels, clones, people can record dreams. There is some interesting stuff but it’s all kinda… eh.
Like one plot point (early on) is that Baxter’s sister can record and control her dreams. Now one description I read made out like she sold those dreams or traded them, but instead she just… records them for seemingly no real reason. (She also doesn’t go missing until about a third of the way in, maybe longer and then there’s like… three or four scenes of Baxter trying to find her before a 5 year time jump)
There’s also these weird monologues from Baxter talking about things that are relevant or what’s happening. Which would be fine if it was like once or twice, but it was like one every ten or fifteen minutes which felt really excessive.
Connor tries his best but it’s just not great (and it’s a shame cause I know he’s a talented actor). No one is likeable, the writing feels eh and while there is some nice visuals (like overhead shots of the city) it all feels done badly. Even the final confrontation is utterly anticlimactic.
So it was eh, which was a shame. I kinda wish I’d switched to seeing Transformers instead but how was I supposed to know it would be… like that.
Next cinema trip will be to see Hope or Howl’s Moving Castle (in theory I could do both Saturday but I’m not sure yet)
Last night I managed to finish fic, then got a bit unfocussed and also annoyed at both Dead By Daylight and Dreamlight. Both seem to have decided to make bad decisions. DBD has an event with quests that you can only do as a killer, but killer queue times for it are up to (and over) 40 minutes so it’s hard. With Dreamlight the last Star Path (cause it finished today) had quests associated with the new character Wreck It Ralph, but he’s locked behind a late game character and they didn’t make any indication about that. (Usually characters for paths are easy to get, just needing to do a quest in their realm)
As I mentioned with Hyrule Warriors I was indecisive, but I’m also still indecisive about seeing Natewantstobattle (and the Paranormal Activity theatre show). Today at the library mum seemed to be pushing me to make a choice, but I’d not wanted to until after the hospital.
Library was quiet whcih was good cause I was a lil unfocussed and have been all day. At least I managed to finally read a Fantastic Four comic, and one of the Poirot Investigates short stories. (Hopefully this week I can start the second Clown In A Cornfield 2.
Audible had a 2 for 1 using credits so I got two Doctor Who ones, an Alien one and a random one that sounded interesting.
A question for Christmas film people (so I suspect this is
Now though gonna watch the new Bake Off then see if my focus is ok to do other things.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 02:05 pm (UTC)Now you've got me thinking about m/m christmas films. Single All the Way comes to mind, I think it may be on Netflix and is about a guy asking his best friend to be his boyfriend for a visit home. I know I've watched more, I'll keep thinking.
I went to the cinema yesterday and saw the Street Fighter trailer, I thought it looked good, too. Sorry you had a dud film, though.
Forgot to say, do you have a Herons near where you live? Ours has been selling that squash off for a while.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 02:41 pm (UTC)Yes! Ihave seen that one and I loved it, I hope it’s still on there to watch around Christmas. Let me know if any come to mind!
Yeah I might watch if there’s anything thing to pair it with! Hope you saw something good🖤 yeah it happens, but I think I’ve had a pretty good run, I’m pretty sure there’s only been three dud ones since I started. (But it’s a shame it had potential!)
The nearest one is the one I went to. Though it’s possible I missed it since it was my first time going in. But ohh nice, it is so good! I think I still have a bottle (which I’ve drank in the cups I got for the film)