There’s a hole at the bottom of the lake
Sep. 20th, 2026 08:03 pmSo yesterday I did do as I said, heading into town and going to see Resident Evil as well as finally seeing Camp Miasma.
On the way to the cinema I say a cute lil mouse running across the path and then down towards some bushes.
At the cinema I got the tickets (from a cute guy) and got waffle fries as well as the Shaun The Sheep cup, just in case it’s not there when I see it (which yeah should be tomorrow but sometimes these things go quick and who knows how busy Sundays are).
There were quite a lot there, first going in to see Practical Magic 2 (hopefully I can see that) and then Resident Evil was pretty packed too.
First, as always, trailers.
Resident Evil (oddly) only had three: Other Mommy, Verity and Hope. They’re all trailers I’ve seen before, but I think it says something that they attached Hope to Resident Evil.
Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma had double the trailers. It had the three Resident Evil did, a short one for Hadestown, a new one for Violent Night 2 (looks pretty good, I’ve not seen the first one though) and Girls Like Girls (looked like it might be good though it threw me off that one of the girls is called Collie).
I have to admit that I did squee when, I. The ads before Resident Evil, there was one for Galactic Racer. Ahhh yay seeing podracing on the big screen.
In terms of post credits, Resident Evil didn’t have one (I heard not but I stayed just in case) and Camp Miasma had a short one.
First Resident Evil!
Resident Evil is about a medical courier called Bryan, who takes a delivery to Racoon City Hospital. But of course things go very, very wrong.
I’d been looking forward to this since I saw the first trailer, especially the shot (used on posters) of something coming out of a door. As soon as I saw that shot, of the limbs coming out but so many and so… wrong, I had to know what it was.
The film is one of those things that follows a single character through the whole length of it. Bryan is in every scene and the only time he’s not in shot it’s when it’s showing what he’s looking at. The success of a film like that thusly rests on Bryan’s actor and damn. Austin Abrams is so great. He’s funny, he’s kind, he’s so… normal. He’s also a tremendous boyfailure in many ways.
To describe what I mean by funny take one scene near the start of the film. To avoid a zombie he decides to run around a crashed car, cue a circular chase that manages to be so funny. Then there’s when he taunts a dog. And when he’s looking for ammo. And whenever he encounters a lock.
His performance is really what makes the film work because you root for him, but also face palm whenever he makes an obviously dumb decision.
Other than him there’s some good side characters (including a surprising brief appearance of Jo Martin, the Fugitive Doctor at the start) and there’s a good soundtrack too. And the film is really great with its mounting sense of dread the closer he gets to the hospital.
Plus I love it did the classic Resident Evil thing of the last creature having a giant eye. (And the sliding scale of Umbrella Corporation employees being incompetent or evil, this time the former.(
In short I really loved it! It’s easily one of my fav films of the year, and almost certainly my fav of the video game films (which there’s been a surprising amount this year). I’m definitely gonna be picking it up when it comes out. And hell, I might be tempted to see it again if it’s still on in a few weeks.
(It is funny though that bothResident Dvil and Exit 8 start with cute guys getting a similar phone call and then the rest of the time they experience the horrors)
Second off Camp Miasma, which was in one of the smallest screens. As you’ll likely know it’s been a nightmare to see this film. First the general release was delayed, then when they finally did get it the showings were all too late. I wasn’t even sure I’d see this one due to the hospital trip. But ah well.
Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma is about a director who is hired to revive the Camp Miasma films, so she decided to spend a few days with the actress who played the final girl in the first film.
This is really hard film to describe because it is so meta, in some ways a little too much. It’s also beautiful at times, with the primary location being the actresses home, which was a summer camp (only since it’s winter it’s covered in snow).
There’s a lot of good production design, like at the titles where it shows some of the stuff made for the fictional Camp Miasma franchise. There’s toys, vhs tapes, articles. Two of the films also get scenes from them shown, with a whole section of the film being the scenes from the first film as the main characters watch it. They really nail the general teen camp slasher vibes of them, though you can’t help but feel sorry for the character of Little Death. (Though why their head is giant box is unexplained)
Of course one of my main draws is Gillian Anderson, playing the actress Billy Presley and, of course she’s great (because she is in everything she’s in) and he relationship with director Kris (Hannah Einbinder) is the core of the film. And thankfully they both have a chemistry together that just feels natural.
The last third does take a turn for the weird, but in a mostly good way.
I’m so glad that I got to see it cause it was really good. I just wish it hadn’t been such an issue to see it. I might get it at some point
It was also funny that there was an actor that appeared in both films, Zach Cherry as an Umbrella Scientist and then as one of the councillors in the original Miasma.
Next cinema trip will likely be tomorrow for Shaun The Sheep and April X. Then next one is… undecided. I wanna see Hope, but there’s also Howl’s Moving Castle next weekend.
And that’s month 14 of the pass done and this time it was a total of 7 films: Coyote Vs Acme, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Ponyo, Colony, Insidious Out Of The Further, Resident Evil, Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma.
I’d say it’s a pretty strong month, with 3 films on my films of the year listing (Coyote Vs Acme, Colony and Fesident Evil. It’s also been my first time seeing a Korean film on the big screen and good to see some of the Ghibli films (though I am annoyed I’ve also missed some too but ah well).
On the way to the cinema I say a cute lil mouse running across the path and then down towards some bushes.
At the cinema I got the tickets (from a cute guy) and got waffle fries as well as the Shaun The Sheep cup, just in case it’s not there when I see it (which yeah should be tomorrow but sometimes these things go quick and who knows how busy Sundays are).
There were quite a lot there, first going in to see Practical Magic 2 (hopefully I can see that) and then Resident Evil was pretty packed too.
First, as always, trailers.
Resident Evil (oddly) only had three: Other Mommy, Verity and Hope. They’re all trailers I’ve seen before, but I think it says something that they attached Hope to Resident Evil.
Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma had double the trailers. It had the three Resident Evil did, a short one for Hadestown, a new one for Violent Night 2 (looks pretty good, I’ve not seen the first one though) and Girls Like Girls (looked like it might be good though it threw me off that one of the girls is called Collie).
I have to admit that I did squee when, I. The ads before Resident Evil, there was one for Galactic Racer. Ahhh yay seeing podracing on the big screen.
In terms of post credits, Resident Evil didn’t have one (I heard not but I stayed just in case) and Camp Miasma had a short one.
First Resident Evil!
Resident Evil is about a medical courier called Bryan, who takes a delivery to Racoon City Hospital. But of course things go very, very wrong.
I’d been looking forward to this since I saw the first trailer, especially the shot (used on posters) of something coming out of a door. As soon as I saw that shot, of the limbs coming out but so many and so… wrong, I had to know what it was.
The film is one of those things that follows a single character through the whole length of it. Bryan is in every scene and the only time he’s not in shot it’s when it’s showing what he’s looking at. The success of a film like that thusly rests on Bryan’s actor and damn. Austin Abrams is so great. He’s funny, he’s kind, he’s so… normal. He’s also a tremendous boyfailure in many ways.
To describe what I mean by funny take one scene near the start of the film. To avoid a zombie he decides to run around a crashed car, cue a circular chase that manages to be so funny. Then there’s when he taunts a dog. And when he’s looking for ammo. And whenever he encounters a lock.
His performance is really what makes the film work because you root for him, but also face palm whenever he makes an obviously dumb decision.
Other than him there’s some good side characters (including a surprising brief appearance of Jo Martin, the Fugitive Doctor at the start) and there’s a good soundtrack too. And the film is really great with its mounting sense of dread the closer he gets to the hospital.
Plus I love it did the classic Resident Evil thing of the last creature having a giant eye. (And the sliding scale of Umbrella Corporation employees being incompetent or evil, this time the former.(
In short I really loved it! It’s easily one of my fav films of the year, and almost certainly my fav of the video game films (which there’s been a surprising amount this year). I’m definitely gonna be picking it up when it comes out. And hell, I might be tempted to see it again if it’s still on in a few weeks.
(It is funny though that bothResident Dvil and Exit 8 start with cute guys getting a similar phone call and then the rest of the time they experience the horrors)
Second off Camp Miasma, which was in one of the smallest screens. As you’ll likely know it’s been a nightmare to see this film. First the general release was delayed, then when they finally did get it the showings were all too late. I wasn’t even sure I’d see this one due to the hospital trip. But ah well.
Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma is about a director who is hired to revive the Camp Miasma films, so she decided to spend a few days with the actress who played the final girl in the first film.
This is really hard film to describe because it is so meta, in some ways a little too much. It’s also beautiful at times, with the primary location being the actresses home, which was a summer camp (only since it’s winter it’s covered in snow).
There’s a lot of good production design, like at the titles where it shows some of the stuff made for the fictional Camp Miasma franchise. There’s toys, vhs tapes, articles. Two of the films also get scenes from them shown, with a whole section of the film being the scenes from the first film as the main characters watch it. They really nail the general teen camp slasher vibes of them, though you can’t help but feel sorry for the character of Little Death. (Though why their head is giant box is unexplained)
Of course one of my main draws is Gillian Anderson, playing the actress Billy Presley and, of course she’s great (because she is in everything she’s in) and he relationship with director Kris (Hannah Einbinder) is the core of the film. And thankfully they both have a chemistry together that just feels natural.
The last third does take a turn for the weird, but in a mostly good way.
I’m so glad that I got to see it cause it was really good. I just wish it hadn’t been such an issue to see it. I might get it at some point
It was also funny that there was an actor that appeared in both films, Zach Cherry as an Umbrella Scientist and then as one of the councillors in the original Miasma.
Next cinema trip will likely be tomorrow for Shaun The Sheep and April X. Then next one is… undecided. I wanna see Hope, but there’s also Howl’s Moving Castle next weekend.
And that’s month 14 of the pass done and this time it was a total of 7 films: Coyote Vs Acme, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Ponyo, Colony, Insidious Out Of The Further, Resident Evil, Teenage Sex And Death At Camp Miasma.
I’d say it’s a pretty strong month, with 3 films on my films of the year listing (Coyote Vs Acme, Colony and Fesident Evil. It’s also been my first time seeing a Korean film on the big screen and good to see some of the Ghibli films (though I am annoyed I’ve also missed some too but ah well).
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 12:26 pm (UTC)I've had a good use of my unlimited pass this month, too. But as is often the case, with totally different films to you.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 01:41 pm (UTC)Oh that’s good! Yeah our overlap is pretty minimal really 😅 have you seen any stuff you’ve enjoyed? (I know you mentioned liking the dog stars)