We deal with big potatoes
Aug. 2nd, 2026 03:24 pmSo this is gonna be a yapping and a pic post.
After the last post on Thursday I did watch Best Wishes To All which was a j-horror film on shudder and… it’s very much one of those films that’s ’what Did I just watch’. It was very unsettling and creepy but definitely ??. I think the thing that got me is that the girl protagonist finds something out about her family and they want her to be ok with it without really explaining it to her(and thus us) and yet they act surprised at her freaking out.
Friday was largely uneventful, though there was a stream for the new Lego Pokémon sets and they do look so good. I had it on the tv and mum even loved one, the one with Lapras (who she calls ‘the flipper one’) and Eevee, which I have to admit is one if the nicest sets. I am annoyed there’s a gift with purchase of a ditto as squirtle and, like the x-files one it’s only up until just before money goes in. Which sucks, but then the threshold is also purposely annoying too.
Yesterday was the trip out to town. I got to the entertainer just before it opened and looked in cex (but didn’t get anything) and when I got back they were just setting up. I was only gonna get one of two Pokémon sets, but I did get both. From the entertainer I got the Bulbasaur and Bidoof one, along with a trainer supplies poly bag which I’d not expected to even see (thoughts on those later). I think I was the first person to get any of the sets from there.
The make and take was a bit chaotic, I let some kids do it first, but when I got round to it one was still there so I was working backwards. (The instructions were on a double sided sheet so I could only do the back first, which was thankfully doable). The make and take wasn’t too exciting, it’s a target with a pokeball but it’s nice enough (again pics later)
From there I went in smyths and I was going on a mission. They’ve got these collectable weapons from Zelda but I’d not seen them so I asked someone and, after looking they found them. On the top shelf which needs steps to reach. I was only gonna get one but cause of the trouble I got two. (Again thoughts later, see why I said it’s part pic post?)
I also got the jigglypuff goron there (I didn’t see them in entertainer) as well as a second make or take for mum which was a tad more organised. There was a demo of the smart play Pokémon but I didn’t have time. I did come back but the station was unmanned then, and the bricks didn’t have charge, but it was nice to see the pikachu house and gengar. Gengar is quite but and very solid and sturdy, plus his tongue moves!
I then went to see Spiderman. Because of delays I thought I’d have to wait till the 11 am showing but they said I could still catch the 10am one, though I had missed all the trailers alas (if anyone saw let me know I’m curious!). I did get the spider man pin cause it was Spiderman day, again pic later. (I didn’t see the cups they’re meant to have but I wasn’t gonna get one anyway, I might do if they have them later but with how well it’s been doing…)
(There is a, very small, post credits scene though it doesn’t add much compared to others)
Basic thoughts first. After seeing the trailers I knew I was gonna at least like it but I ended up loving it. It might even be my favourite MCU Spiderman film (I’ll have to rewatch the others to be sure).
Also the cinema was pretty fully and it was nice to have so many people there reacting to everything.
More in depth thoughts and it will be spoilery because it’s unavoidable to talk about things without mentioning a cameo and a reveal. (Although a lot of people guessed the latter)
-
First off stuff in the trailers. Ahh it was so good seeing Ned back cause I do love him so. It was so sweet he made the Spiderman tracker.
I’d not seen anything with the Punisher before but that didn’t matter. He somehow managed to really work despite it being clear he’s a darker guy. I loved his relationship with Spiderman because it’s clear he does care about him.
I really liked Banner coming back too. Peter going to him for wisdom made so much sense and it worked really well, especially with the foreshadowing of the inhibitor being a problem.
And then there’s the third, surprise cameo of Yelena which really worked and it was so funny that her ‘office’ was a sauna. And yet it’s smart too cause it means people are caught off guard by it. (And it was so funny to see Spiderman in just his mask and her commenting on the art like damnnnn)
It was funny too cause I saw someone say, like a few weeks before release, about how Spiderman is a friend to all, that he shows up and is on good terms with pretty much everyone in the comics (at least people based in New York) and I feel that having these three in it really captured that sense. And I hope the next Spiderman film continues that.
(Cause let’s face it there is gonna be another, it’s making crazy amounts of money and even beating Endgame. And just from the perspective of my cinema, today has low tickets for most showings and even sold one out completely.)
Anyway!
People had expected that Sadie Sink (Max from Stranger Things) would be playing Jean Grey. After all her character was kept under wraps but at the same time… she has ginger hair, just like Jean. It wasn’t exactly hard for people to realise who she was. I wasn’t sure if that’s who she was going to be, in case she’d be a double bluff and be someone else. (After all there’s bound to be more than one red head she could’ve been)
But she was really effective as Jean, as were all the other (as they’re dubbed in the credits) inhabited people. Through them she managed to be a genuinely creepy and scary threat, because it is scary having your body being taken over like that to do things you’d not do.
I also had a feeling that she was doing what she was doing for a good reason. (I mean the damage country guy felt shady from the outset) and when she talked to Peter about doing things for someone you love, yeah that’s when I knew for sure she was after a someone over a something and wasn’t doing these things for the sake of it/to be evil.
I liked too that MJ’s response to Peter’s letter was that she didn’t feel the same because she didn’t know him. Which is honestly the best response to it because it’s true. And I also liked how she hit it off with Punisher despite him being so… him.
One thing I also loved was Jean said there was no ‘true loves kiss’ to restore MJ’s memories but the last scene was of Peter and Ned and they did a fist bump which seemed to restore his memory. So there’s no true loves kiss but there is a true loves fist bump.
I probably have so many other thoughts and feels on it that I’m forgetting now, but it really does feel like one of the best of the mcu films lately. (And the last few have been really great!)
-
After the film I went to Asda to look aroun (pointlessly), back to smyths (like I said didn’t get a fully demo but I got to hold stuff) and Aldi (mostly to get the peppers I like), then had noms at Burger King using the points on a meal.
I popped in game quick which again pointless (but Star Wars Outlaws was £7 on Xbox which is crazy, I didn’t get it but if you haven’t you should it’s a great game). I did get some Star Wars unlimited packs which were cheaper than they were on sale in the smiths closing down sale. I got some pretty good packs cause 2 of the 3 had multiple rares (one had 2, another had 3). I might get more when I next go.
Then I went to Tesco to get some things (cheese, the nice sour haribo bears they have, cider) and there was also an Agatha Christie book that was older than me on the charity thing. (A three in one volume of A Murder Is Announced, They Do It With Mirrors, 4:50 From Paddington)
When I got back I built the sets, watched the new Fake Documentary q and then I was pretty wiped so I zoned out a bit.
Now onto the pic side which is the pin, Lego Pokémon, Zelda stuff, as well as the pride dice I got when I went to Birmingham.

First the Spiderman pin! It is pretty small but is nice

This is the make and take set. It’s just a target with a pokeball, but the pokeball is nice and the build is pretty involved at the end.

Jigglypuff! They’re the cheapest of the sets and they are very cute. I love jigglypuff from the show so it was a must by for me.
The Pokémon sets are smart play so they use the smart brick introduced with the Star Wars sets. A common complaint with the Star Wars ones is that without the brick there’s unsightly gaps especially with the ships. That’s not an issue with the Pokémon ones. They’ve purposely insured that there’s extra bricks to fill the space the brick would go.

Bulbasaur and Bidoof (technically called Berry Bash with Bulbasaur and Bidoof). This was another insta buy cause Bulbasaur is one of my fav Pokémon, cause just look at him! This is set is the next price up from jigglypuff, and though it has two Pokémon instead of one it’s only £5 more so it’s a real bargain. Bidoof is pretty cute too.
It also comes with a little berry tree and a machine that’s a smoothy maker. It’s cute and has a lil mechanism, but does feel a tad superfluous. (Not as much as some of the other things though)

The trainer essentials polybag is a random bunch of stuff. It would’ve been nice to have a more focused build instead but I get why they didn’t. There’s a potion, some pokeballs (well one pokeball and one premier ball) two matching targets and some berries.
All in all I do really like the Pokémon sets and I hope they make more! Of the current line I do love Lapras and I might get the charmander and geodude one. The mewtwo one is pretty cool too.

These are the Zelda weapons that you can get in the boxes. I’d say the issue is that there’s no instructions but the stands are simple enough to figure out.

I got the Hylian shield and… I think it’s a greatsword? I’m not entirely sure and cause the labels are in Japanese…
I might get some more, I do want the trident.

This is the pride set I got from Forbidden planet, they’re pretty nice but the d20 is nicest.

See it’s a rainbow! And it’s glittery too. I wonder how they got all the colours like that.
Today’s been watching Jurassic Park 3 and then… who knows. I might try nd watch something tonight if I don’t get too tired.
After the last post on Thursday I did watch Best Wishes To All which was a j-horror film on shudder and… it’s very much one of those films that’s ’what Did I just watch’. It was very unsettling and creepy but definitely ??. I think the thing that got me is that the girl protagonist finds something out about her family and they want her to be ok with it without really explaining it to her(and thus us) and yet they act surprised at her freaking out.
Friday was largely uneventful, though there was a stream for the new Lego Pokémon sets and they do look so good. I had it on the tv and mum even loved one, the one with Lapras (who she calls ‘the flipper one’) and Eevee, which I have to admit is one if the nicest sets. I am annoyed there’s a gift with purchase of a ditto as squirtle and, like the x-files one it’s only up until just before money goes in. Which sucks, but then the threshold is also purposely annoying too.
Yesterday was the trip out to town. I got to the entertainer just before it opened and looked in cex (but didn’t get anything) and when I got back they were just setting up. I was only gonna get one of two Pokémon sets, but I did get both. From the entertainer I got the Bulbasaur and Bidoof one, along with a trainer supplies poly bag which I’d not expected to even see (thoughts on those later). I think I was the first person to get any of the sets from there.
The make and take was a bit chaotic, I let some kids do it first, but when I got round to it one was still there so I was working backwards. (The instructions were on a double sided sheet so I could only do the back first, which was thankfully doable). The make and take wasn’t too exciting, it’s a target with a pokeball but it’s nice enough (again pics later)
From there I went in smyths and I was going on a mission. They’ve got these collectable weapons from Zelda but I’d not seen them so I asked someone and, after looking they found them. On the top shelf which needs steps to reach. I was only gonna get one but cause of the trouble I got two. (Again thoughts later, see why I said it’s part pic post?)
I also got the jigglypuff goron there (I didn’t see them in entertainer) as well as a second make or take for mum which was a tad more organised. There was a demo of the smart play Pokémon but I didn’t have time. I did come back but the station was unmanned then, and the bricks didn’t have charge, but it was nice to see the pikachu house and gengar. Gengar is quite but and very solid and sturdy, plus his tongue moves!
I then went to see Spiderman. Because of delays I thought I’d have to wait till the 11 am showing but they said I could still catch the 10am one, though I had missed all the trailers alas (if anyone saw let me know I’m curious!). I did get the spider man pin cause it was Spiderman day, again pic later. (I didn’t see the cups they’re meant to have but I wasn’t gonna get one anyway, I might do if they have them later but with how well it’s been doing…)
(There is a, very small, post credits scene though it doesn’t add much compared to others)
Basic thoughts first. After seeing the trailers I knew I was gonna at least like it but I ended up loving it. It might even be my favourite MCU Spiderman film (I’ll have to rewatch the others to be sure).
Also the cinema was pretty fully and it was nice to have so many people there reacting to everything.
More in depth thoughts and it will be spoilery because it’s unavoidable to talk about things without mentioning a cameo and a reveal. (Although a lot of people guessed the latter)
-
First off stuff in the trailers. Ahh it was so good seeing Ned back cause I do love him so. It was so sweet he made the Spiderman tracker.
I’d not seen anything with the Punisher before but that didn’t matter. He somehow managed to really work despite it being clear he’s a darker guy. I loved his relationship with Spiderman because it’s clear he does care about him.
I really liked Banner coming back too. Peter going to him for wisdom made so much sense and it worked really well, especially with the foreshadowing of the inhibitor being a problem.
And then there’s the third, surprise cameo of Yelena which really worked and it was so funny that her ‘office’ was a sauna. And yet it’s smart too cause it means people are caught off guard by it. (And it was so funny to see Spiderman in just his mask and her commenting on the art like damnnnn)
It was funny too cause I saw someone say, like a few weeks before release, about how Spiderman is a friend to all, that he shows up and is on good terms with pretty much everyone in the comics (at least people based in New York) and I feel that having these three in it really captured that sense. And I hope the next Spiderman film continues that.
(Cause let’s face it there is gonna be another, it’s making crazy amounts of money and even beating Endgame. And just from the perspective of my cinema, today has low tickets for most showings and even sold one out completely.)
Anyway!
People had expected that Sadie Sink (Max from Stranger Things) would be playing Jean Grey. After all her character was kept under wraps but at the same time… she has ginger hair, just like Jean. It wasn’t exactly hard for people to realise who she was. I wasn’t sure if that’s who she was going to be, in case she’d be a double bluff and be someone else. (After all there’s bound to be more than one red head she could’ve been)
But she was really effective as Jean, as were all the other (as they’re dubbed in the credits) inhabited people. Through them she managed to be a genuinely creepy and scary threat, because it is scary having your body being taken over like that to do things you’d not do.
I also had a feeling that she was doing what she was doing for a good reason. (I mean the damage country guy felt shady from the outset) and when she talked to Peter about doing things for someone you love, yeah that’s when I knew for sure she was after a someone over a something and wasn’t doing these things for the sake of it/to be evil.
I liked too that MJ’s response to Peter’s letter was that she didn’t feel the same because she didn’t know him. Which is honestly the best response to it because it’s true. And I also liked how she hit it off with Punisher despite him being so… him.
One thing I also loved was Jean said there was no ‘true loves kiss’ to restore MJ’s memories but the last scene was of Peter and Ned and they did a fist bump which seemed to restore his memory. So there’s no true loves kiss but there is a true loves fist bump.
I probably have so many other thoughts and feels on it that I’m forgetting now, but it really does feel like one of the best of the mcu films lately. (And the last few have been really great!)
-
After the film I went to Asda to look aroun (pointlessly), back to smyths (like I said didn’t get a fully demo but I got to hold stuff) and Aldi (mostly to get the peppers I like), then had noms at Burger King using the points on a meal.
I popped in game quick which again pointless (but Star Wars Outlaws was £7 on Xbox which is crazy, I didn’t get it but if you haven’t you should it’s a great game). I did get some Star Wars unlimited packs which were cheaper than they were on sale in the smiths closing down sale. I got some pretty good packs cause 2 of the 3 had multiple rares (one had 2, another had 3). I might get more when I next go.
Then I went to Tesco to get some things (cheese, the nice sour haribo bears they have, cider) and there was also an Agatha Christie book that was older than me on the charity thing. (A three in one volume of A Murder Is Announced, They Do It With Mirrors, 4:50 From Paddington)
When I got back I built the sets, watched the new Fake Documentary q and then I was pretty wiped so I zoned out a bit.
Now onto the pic side which is the pin, Lego Pokémon, Zelda stuff, as well as the pride dice I got when I went to Birmingham.

First the Spiderman pin! It is pretty small but is nice

This is the make and take set. It’s just a target with a pokeball, but the pokeball is nice and the build is pretty involved at the end.

Jigglypuff! They’re the cheapest of the sets and they are very cute. I love jigglypuff from the show so it was a must by for me.
The Pokémon sets are smart play so they use the smart brick introduced with the Star Wars sets. A common complaint with the Star Wars ones is that without the brick there’s unsightly gaps especially with the ships. That’s not an issue with the Pokémon ones. They’ve purposely insured that there’s extra bricks to fill the space the brick would go.

Bulbasaur and Bidoof (technically called Berry Bash with Bulbasaur and Bidoof). This was another insta buy cause Bulbasaur is one of my fav Pokémon, cause just look at him! This is set is the next price up from jigglypuff, and though it has two Pokémon instead of one it’s only £5 more so it’s a real bargain. Bidoof is pretty cute too.
It also comes with a little berry tree and a machine that’s a smoothy maker. It’s cute and has a lil mechanism, but does feel a tad superfluous. (Not as much as some of the other things though)

The trainer essentials polybag is a random bunch of stuff. It would’ve been nice to have a more focused build instead but I get why they didn’t. There’s a potion, some pokeballs (well one pokeball and one premier ball) two matching targets and some berries.
All in all I do really like the Pokémon sets and I hope they make more! Of the current line I do love Lapras and I might get the charmander and geodude one. The mewtwo one is pretty cool too.

These are the Zelda weapons that you can get in the boxes. I’d say the issue is that there’s no instructions but the stands are simple enough to figure out.

I got the Hylian shield and… I think it’s a greatsword? I’m not entirely sure and cause the labels are in Japanese…
I might get some more, I do want the trident.

This is the pride set I got from Forbidden planet, they’re pretty nice but the d20 is nicest.

See it’s a rainbow! And it’s glittery too. I wonder how they got all the colours like that.
Today’s been watching Jurassic Park 3 and then… who knows. I might try nd watch something tonight if I don’t get too tired.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-02 09:58 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-03 08:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-03 04:18 pm (UTC)I have to agree with your review, it was such a good film with some excellent, and unexpected characters. I really like Yelenda and especially her office. The whole screen laughed together when Spidey walked out in his towel and mask. And yeah, Peter really does seem to get along with everyone, and I do like that from him.
I knew the post credit scene was at the very end and wasn't that exciting, but stayed anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Spiderman, and yes, to the fist bump provoking memories! And that MJ's reaction to the letter was really realistic, because she really doesn't know him at all.
Trailer wise, the only one I can remember are one for the upcoming Avengers films, because, Gambit! And the new Jumanji, which I had no idea was being released soonish.
Great photos, thanks for sharing your buys.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-03 08:16 pm (UTC)Yeah I’d no idea it was gonna be her and that whole scene was so funny. Especially with how he came out masked like that😄 Everyone at mine had that reaction too! And yeah he really is 💚
I’d no idea what it was but would have anyway too. I half expected a mid credits one too, when the credits switched styles. It really was! I love them so many so I was so glad that it did! And yeah, her reaction was really understandable cause she’s write, she has no idea who he is.
Ohh I’m not surprised about Avengers, I hope it’ll be better than I’m expecting. (Though at least it means I’ll be rewatching stuff beforehand). Oh it is? I’d seen there was a new trailer for it but I’ve not seen it. I’d figured it was the first trailer so was aways off
Aww thank! They are pretty cool
no subject
Date: 2026-08-04 08:37 am (UTC)I hope the new Avengers is good, too. I do enjoy the X Men and seeing Gambit was good as he was a favourite character of mine, so fingers crossed. And that the multiverse stuff doesn't get too tangled.
Who do you think Spider Man will end up in space with? If their arc wasn't over I'd love him to hang with the Guardians but suspect it's another Spider Man than Tom's.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-06 11:30 am (UTC)I’m surprised he’s in it! But yeah hopefully it’s better than what I’m expecting and it’s not as busy as it looks.
I’d have loved if it was the guardians too but I agree that seems doubtful. I’m wondering if it’s Fantastic Four since they have a ship (and he’s on good terms with them in the comics) or maybe he’s been teleported there by some bad guy
no subject
Date: 2026-08-23 03:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-26 01:56 pm (UTC)Yeah it was so cute! I love them so many